Friday, October 16, 2009

From the Windy City

Hello from Chicago! I know, I know...you are thinking..."Eryn, it is Friday night and you are in CHICAGO....why are you sitting at a computer writing a blog entry?" Well, let me tell you...because I am dedicated to you readers. I tell you I will write a blog on Fridays, gosh darn it, I will. It isn't called 'The Friday Five Except When In Chicago". Here it is:

1. I flew in LATE last night, was picked up at O'Hare (miraculously, my flight not only got in on time, but a bit early) by Jessica (my old Chicago roommate) and her BF...which was very, very nice of them, since I got in after 11pm. Anyway...got in, ate some delightful homemade apple crisp, and went to bed. And this morning, I went and saw my favorite little Chicago guy, Henry. I babysat him when he was not even 2 yet...and now he is five. And still the cutest and funniest thing ever. He has always been quite the musical kid- carried his guitar around with him, and played lots of those playschool instruments. Well, he still has his guitar, and he is taking piano lessons. AND, he is asking Santa Claus for a bagpipe for Christmas. A bagpipe! Kills me. We all went out to lunch (he has a little brother now, who is a mini version of him) and there was a musician playing inside Potbelly's...and Henry was singing along to Johnny Cash. So great. After that, I strolled around the old neighborhood, before hopping on the El and returning to Jessica (and even more apple crisp). It is soooo fun being back in the city...and I love that I can return and feel like I never left...I know where the train stations are, the street names, etc. Love it.

2. Part of the Adventure Club made the adventurous trip down to the Des Moines/Kent area this week. In the POURING rain...a little bit scary in the jeeper, but she handled herself nicely. We made the trip to visit one of our co-workers who is out because she just had a baby...very sweet. And heard more than a little bit about the whole labor/birth experience...wowza. And then we drove over to my old home golf course to hit a bucket of balls at the range. Willow has never golfed before and her form was unintentionally Happy Gilmore-like. It was hilarious. She couldn't keep her feet in one place. The Adventure Club has been discussing our winter options- since much adventuring takes place outside. There are several ideas on the calendar....more to come in the coming months...

3. After watching My Sister's Keeper (that movie about the kid with cancer that I cried my eyes out in a few weeks ago), I have been thinking that I would like to get tested to be a bone marrow donor. It has always sounded scary- I know it is a really painful procedure. But I feel like a little bit of pain is worth saving someone's life. But I didn't know how to go about getting tested for that. And then I walked in to work on Wednesday and there was a note posted saying they were doing bone barrow testing at the central library right up the street. So easy, and right in front of my face. So Willow and I walked on up to the library, filled out a ton of forms, and then did some cheek tissue swabs for tissue testing. I guess they contact us if our tissue matches someone in need. And they keep you in the database until you are 61 years old! I guess we'll see. 

4. I started a new bookclub, but we decided on the Time Traveler's Wife for the first book, which I already read...so I went to the library and checked out a couple of random YA books. I picked up Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist...which I have been wanting to read for awhile. I never saw the movie, and I have heard it wasn't that great. But I thought the book was really cute. Pretty short book, very quick read...and just a sweet, young adult romance. I'd like to catch the movie sometime soon.

5. I didn't do much for cooking this week...didn't find any time to bake bread...boo. I did have some delicious Thai food, twice, AND the Pumpkin donuts have made their appearance at Mighty-O. So now, how do you choose between a pumpkin or an apple spice? You get one of each and eat half at a time, save the rest for later. Brilliant. There will definitely be some tasty seasonal baking being done once I return home. I saw pumpkin pancake mix at Trader Joe's today...mmm, will definitely be picking some of that up! 

Okay...now I need to go booze it up like a real Chicagoan...later

No comments:

Post a Comment