Friday, October 23, 2009

Friday Five 10/23/09

Happy Friday all...while this was a short work week for me (didn't return from Chicago until Tuesday), the week felt very long. Very, very long. But alas, Friday has arrived. Here's what went on in my life for the past week....

1. Okay, so I know I lived in Chicago and decided it definitely wasn't for me and moved home...and I know I have a tendency to only remember the good things in a memory...but man, why did I leave Chicago? It is such a great city! So much to do, so much character... and speaking of characters...one of my old Starbucks pals (part of my Thursday night closing Dream Team) took me out for some ice cream in Bucktown. Margies...whoa. This place had a multiple page menu that was filled with nothing but sundaes...it was an ice cream novel. I don't know how I never came across this ice cream heaven. Angel did warn me to stay away from the sundaes with candy included...because it was generally stale. I had a Coco Loco...which was coconut ice cream, choc syrup, whipped cream, etc. Yummmm

2. After enjoying my tasty ice cream treat, I was to hop on a bus and head over to Wrigleyville to meet up with Jessica and Brad for a little board game time at Guthries. Well...in true Eryn form, I jumped on the bus going the wrong direction and by the time I realized I was most definitely not in the right place, I was in a not so great part of town. Luckily Angel was still with me, so waiting at the bus stop back the other direction wasn't nearly as scary as it could have been. After more than an hour and a half of public transportation, I finally made it to Guthries...got myself a beer and jumped into a game of Taboo. Somehow Jessica and I never discovered Guthries when I lived there...it's a bar, with every imaginable board game right there for anyone to use...AND you can order take out from anywhere...they will deliver it to Guthries! So fun.

3. Another of my very favorite things about Chicago is the abundance of Skillet Cookies. Heaven. We most definitely DID take advantage of that when I was living in Chicago, and that was actually my only request to Jessica about what I wanted to do on my trip. MUST HAVE A SKILLET COOKIE. It's a giant chocolate chip cookie, cooked in a cast iron skillet...served still fairly gooey, with ice cream and whipped cream. Seriously, it's A-MAZING. There is one place that I know of in Seattle that makes a skillet cookie....Madam K's...I haven't actually gone to try it out since being in Chicago, because I am afraid of the severe disappointment I might find...right now it is just nice to think that such a place does, in fact, exist.

4. So, I haven't been flying a ton lately, but I have gone on a couple of trips recently...and I don't know if it is just the particular flights I've been on, if for some reason I am just feeling old and more concerned, or what...but it seems like the amount of turbulence on my flights has increased dramatically. Both duration and degree of turbulance. And it is scary as all get out. I try to think about my mom and how she thinks it's fun...like being on a ride...and no big deal...I mean, most plane crashes happen during take off or landing...not while coasting thousands and thousands of feet up in the air. Nevertheless, my life flashes before my eyes, time after time...which may explain my high productivity level on place rides...I have the near death experience and then feel the need to act on all my "I still have so much to do in life" dreams.

5. And now back to Seattle. I went to Marty and Jodi's big severance blowout party last night...their contracts weren't renewed at the radio station a few weeks back and they are gone from KMTT...which is very sad. Marty has been around for forever and is such a face of the station. But they decided to have a big ol party and invited their devoted listeners...it was just like being at a Mountain event from the good ol days (seriously, how old am I?)...pretty much everyone that ahs ever worked at the station and left, or been let go, plus all the die hard listeners showed up. Jen was there in work mode (not really, but she did hang some stellar banners...above eye level...Promo Rule #126)...I'm sure it made Marty and Jodi feel all warm and fuzzy inside to see how supported they are. AND, they announced that they are going to be putting on a comedy festival in January. I'll keep you updated on details as they come out.

And that's it for now...hope you have fun, festive Fall plans for the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment