Thursday, January 29, 2009

Friday Five on Thursday 1/29

I know, I know…it is Thursday…I don’t know how much internet access I’m going to have tomorrow, so I figured I had better write up my Friday Five today. Plus, I’m killing time in the Mercer Island Starbucks again- not to worry, I won’t be disturbed by the crazy middle-schoolers today…I asked.

1. My music point for the week. I just read about this new album coming out. Apparently they threw 14 musicians together, put them in a tree house in Hawaii for 30 days and said- make some music, see what you can do. The group- Operation Aloha is a combination of Maroon5, Gomez, Phantom Planet and some others. The album is coming out May 12th and you can listen to a track, and read about it here: http://www.spin.com/articles/first-listen-maroon-5-phantom-planet-gomez-members-form-band
Anyone have any bright ideas of something productive that can be done living in a tree house in Hawaii for 30 days? Because I am totally down.

2. Book update. I am well into A Prayer For Owen Meany…I have grown a bit more attached to it. I spent some time with it this weekend, like I said I would. It still hasn’t totally pulled me in though. Like, I feel like if I lost the book, I wouldn’t need to immediately run to the library and pick up a new copy to finish it. But enjoying it, nonetheless. On another book note- it is awards season right now and everyone is paying attention to the movie awards, SAG, Oscars, etc…but apparently there were some book awards given out recently by the American Library Association (I read about it on Sarah Dessen’s blog), for Young Adult and Children’s books….here are the winners for the past year, if you are looking for a new read: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28857052/

3. With my new later but irregular schedule at Starbucks, I have been trying to take the bus to work. Then I don’t have to pay for parking- or worry about being a few minutes late to pay my parking and getting a parking ticket (which I have a couple of time…grrrr). Well, my bus-riding days are probably going to be a bit more limited after my Tuesday evening ride home. I sat near the front of the bus, as I usually do- both because I need to be able to see where to get off, and also so I don’t have to fight my way through people when it is time to get off. So I sat in my usual spot, and a few stops in, a man…perhaps that hadn’t showered in some time, and perhaps didn’t have a home…I don’t know for sure (well, the shower part I am fairly certain about) sat down RIGHT next to me. Like, we were squished in there. He really didn’t smell very good…I tried to stick my nose in the scarf wrapped around my neck (thank goodness I was wearing a scarf!), but it did little to keep the smell out. I considered getting off and catching the next bus, but decided to stick it out- it was only 20 minutes. I was reading my book and saw him lifting his hand toward me- it is hard to describe- sort of a “wait just a second” hand motion, in my direction. I looked up, and as I looked up, he put his hand down and looked away from me. Okay. I started reading, and as soon as I put my head down, he put his hand back up toward me. I glanced out of the corner of my eye and his eyes were closed. I looked up again, and he put his hand down…this continued the entire journey…pretty sure he put a curse on me. I am still alive 2 days later, so that is a good sign. BUT, maybe only because I haven’t gotten on the bus since. I don’t know.

4. I have been interested in the happy hour concept, as of late (due to a lack of finances). I met my pal Darby on Monday- which was o-so fun, by the way…at Sonrisa- a new Mexican place in U Village. I didn’t even know it existed. Pretty good deals during their happy hour….we had tacos (on Tuesdays, it is 2 tacos for $2) and the drinks were cheap too. I’ll return. Also, there is a rumor that Frank’s Champagne Parlor is going to be having a happy hour. I really should spend an entire bullet point on Frank’s, but I’ll just include it in this one. SUPER CUTE, just opened restaurant and parlor behind U Village. My friend Olga works there, so I made a stop in last week. The food was delicious…Olga warned that it was maybe a little pricey, but I thought it was totally reasonable for the tasty treats. And she told me that they are going to be starting a Happy hour…they have some yummy looking drinks on the menu…so once I know what the details are- Olga?- I will definitely be stopping in. Do you have any fav happy hour spots? Let me know please.

5. Okay, after being pressured into it, I signed up for Twitter, to see what it is all about…and well, besides finding one of my old college friends that has been living in England, I don’t really see the point. How is it any different than Facebook’s “what are you doing?”? People update what they are doing and it is sent out to the people who are following them…I just don’t see the point. I get it from a fun, technology based product/company, like Brady’s Dishkarma…it is a way for them to keep the Dishkarma name in front of people every single day…but how is it any different than having a facebook page and updating the status- people who are friends with them still see all the updates. Anyone care to explain?

And that is it for this week. I am going to a conference this weekend with my mom and Jen- Guiding Lights…about mentoring. I went last year and it was really inspiring, so I am really excited for the conference this year…that is where I will be without internet. Until next week…

No comments:

Post a Comment