Friday, February 6, 2009

Five on Friday 2/6

I'm a little late in getting my five points up...but I still have a couple hours until Friday is over...so it counts.

1. Well, I should be at a concert right now, so I would have something music to talk about...but I lame-o'd out. I just don't have the energy. BUT, I did get an email this week that Howie Day...my long-lost musician boyfriend has a new album coming out very soon- doesn't say when...but I'm guessing it is finished and they just need to get all their promo ducks in a row. AND, upon release of the new album- there is always a tour...he has a bunch of dates up right now- not coming to Seattle yet, but I'm sure more will be added. I was just telling a couple of my friends that I was in need of a Howie fix...it has been such a long time, and I would really love to see him solo. Looking forward to the new music.

2. I'm really plugging away at my book- I did have a goal to write for 2 hours every day...but I found myself getting distracted and looking things up on the internet if I hit a wall...so I have made a new goal- I have to write two pages each day (I have been pushing for three all this week). I really love sitting down and making up conversations...gosh knows I do enough of that in my head all day long. I keep having those moments of insecurities about my writing though...as much as I enjoy DOING it- who in the world is actually going to want to read it? Sigh. I think I have too much dialogue, not enough of the detail stuff...and definitely not enough of what the character is thinking...which is how people connect to a character. I just want to create a character that people can connect with. I so love reading about good characters- I love to feel sad when the story is over because I am no longer involved with that person. I want to be able to create that. I did spend some time making character profiles the other day...just writing down as much about the characters as possible- really making them real. What they look like, what they like to do, how they feel about things...so that as I am writing dialogue, I can figure out what that person would actually say, and how they would react in situations. Anyway...I don't know if anyone will ever read it, but I feel productive as I work on it.

3. I went to the Guiding Lights weekend last weekend, and it was great. First of all, it was awesome to spend the weekend with my mom and Jen...outside of the normal environment. A little out of the comfort zone, I guess. Guiding Lights is a conference about mentoring- "who influences you and how do you pass it on?" They bring some amazing people, from around the country, who do great things to help other people...they are all so inspiring. On a selfish level, I love going to this conference because these people all talk about the importance of stepping out of the box and finding your passion- finding work that is fulfilling, and not settling for just a job. It makes me feel better about the career choices I have made. That it is okay to not have a standard 9-5 (who even works a 9-5 job anymore?)job as long as you are working toward something fulfilling- which is definitely something I am constantly striving for. It is also inspiring to see these projects that ordinary people have created...they are absolutely extraordinary. Check out the site and all the luminaries (speakers) and their projects...it gives me faith in people, for sure. http://www.guidinglightsnetwork.com/
And, I was also thrilled because the Creative Director for Disney Imagineering was there...she creates that magic for all of us. Amazing...I was a little dorky in awe. :)

4. I had a Starbucks stalker yesterday at my store. Creepy. So I took my lunch break, and was sitting in the lobby, reading A Prayer For Owen Meany (which I am enjoying...but it is not a quick read!) and this guy in the lobby keeps coughing...like that really gross, hacking stuff up kind of coughing. Sooo gross...I kept trying not to look at him and be rude, but it was really awful. I finally couldn't handle it and looked over and he was spitting whatever he was coughing up into a napkin...SICK! So I moved to the back room. And then I got back to work and he was still there...for a few hours. And I noticed he kept moving seats all over the lobby, and I didn't really think anything of it, until I was working at the bar and he moved all the way across the lobby to sit in the seat facing me. And then was staring. Uncomfortable staring. So I switched places with someone and then he moved seats again. So I said something to the people I was working with and they kept looking and finally he got up and left...but they assured me he turned around and took a last look before leaving the store. Creepy McCreeperson. Ewww.

5. My adorable and hilarious little niece just found out she has diabetes. I was having dinner with my little sis when my dad called and said that my older sis was at the hospital with my niece. He didn't know anything else. So we called around and finally got a hold of someone. I guess she had been sick for a little while and so my sister took her to the doctor who did some blood work and discovered her blood sugar levels were waaay off what they were supposed to be. He sent them to the hospital where they did some more tests and then admitted her to ICU for a few days. She is doing much better now. But, she does have Type 1 diabetes, which is the juvenile diabetes. And the poor thing has to get 6 shots a day, plus finger pricks throughout the day. Danielle said she has already accepted that and is doing great. Would definitely appreciate some prayers going her way.

That is it for this week. I am going to finish writing up my to-do list for this weekend...I am hoping for a super productive one...lots to get done. Until next week...later skater.

No comments:

Post a Comment