Friday, January 23, 2009

Friday Five 1/23

This week went by so fast, I almost forgot it was time for another Friday Five! I think I am going to make the Friday Five a little more structured (unless I have a week that I don't want to be structured, which is fine...because this is my blog.) So I am going to have a music bullet point- something new I have listened to or a concert I went to...something music related. Another is going to be a book I'm reading, or want to read, or have heard about. There may be other regular topics, but for now...that will do.

1. Last week I went to the O.A.R show...really, I went to see Eric Hutchinson, who was opening. I like his Rock N Roll song...it's quite catchy. The Mountain was doing a soundcheck/meet and greet with Eric and oar before the show, so I went down early for that (stopping first for a nutella mocha, of course!). The soundcheck was fun...I miss putting those together with the radio station...I definitely have moments where I miss working there...but only brief moments. The meet and greet was one of them. Amy and I watched Eric perform and then stayed for two oar songs...she hadn't ever seen them before...and after two songs, put them in a category with Train and we were ready to leave. Hehe...I have seen them a bazillion times (usually with the intention of seeing their opener- although their bass player is def one of my favs) and this show- well the two songs...just weren't their usual selves. Not as fun. Oh well, what can you do. But Eric Hutchinson- adorable and funny. I have been feeling really bored with music lately- please send me your listening suggestions!!

2. I went to the library again the other day to check out some more books. Seriously, I don't know why I never did this library thing before- it's amazing. Anyway...I am currently reading three different books. I am reading 'Smiles To Go' by Jerry Spinelli. He wrote Stargirl, which is one of my absolute favorite books. Seriously, go read it right now. I have read a couple of his other books, which haven't been AS good as Stargirl, but still enjoyable. That is my bedtime book...easy, light, good feeling book before sleep. I just started 'A Prayer for Owen Meany', which I have had a few people tell me is their very favorite book...so I have high hopes for it. Unfortunately it has been my travel book the past couple of days...on the bus, waiting for someone, break at work, etc...which means I only read a few pages at a time, and I feel like I'm not giving it a chance, because it is hard to get into something in such short spurts. So I think I am going to give it a few hours this weekend. And then I am reading some other random young adult book. When I went to the library and asked for some YA recommendations, the gal showed me a few of her fav authors and then also gave me a book that has reviews of hundreds of teen books. I'm not so into this other book. I like the Sarah Dessen books, and this are kind of the same idea, but I just don't like it...I started 3 different books and put them away. Yawn. Oh, I just updated my Goodreads page...also, if you have any fav book recommendations, love to have em.

3. There was a huge accident outside my Starbucks today. My store is on 3rd, downtown, which means there are steep hills on both sides, up and down Madison. And apparently this van (that appeared to have a mom and two children in it...yikes) lost control, or her brakes went out, or something, going down one of the hills. She ran a red light, and then hit a few cars that were parked in the metered spots on the side- sending them up onto the sidewalk (right where I usually park...thank goodness I took the bus today!), and then apparently went up on the curb herself on the other side of another intersection. They closed the street down and there were police cars everywhere. Crazy... Someone from one of the local news channels came in and asked us if we saw anything- which we didn't, but even if we had, we aren't allowed to do interviews.

4. I need to start cooking. I haven't done much in the way of grocery shopping since I finally moved up to Seattle (really, I have been living on mini-wheats-not even the frosted kind, and english muffins with peanut butter. Don't worry, I have eaten a fair amount of my Adam's Old Fashioned PB, and have not gotten sick. I refuse to cut peanut butter out of my diet due to some kind of outbreak.) But I have recently had a couple of tasty dishes prepared by others, and I feel it is time for me to do some cooking myself. I had some yummy broiled salmon and homemade french fries at Olga'a last night- followed up with some coconut pie...all while watching her Laguna Beach DVDs...I know you are jealous you weren't a part of THAT evening! And today my Asst manager brought in some apple dip...that was sooooo good. He brings food in for us that he has made all the time.

5. Let me tell you about how ghetto my jeep is. So, I borrowed my dad's truck last weekend so I could move some furniture to my apartment. And he put a few things into my jeep, so we locked the doors...which I never do. Well, when I got back, my passenger side door wouldn't unlock. You might think, so then use the driver's side door...but I forgot to mention that the handle on the driver's side is broken...altogether broken, doesn't work- usually I have to climb through the passenger side to open my door. Anyway...so it wouldn't unlock and I had to climb through the back of the jeep. Awesome. I left the little triangle window open on my side, so I could reach through and open my door the next morning...well, it ended up giving me a ridiculously gross bruise on my arm- which swelled up, and looked like I had been beaten (that might have just been my perception, seeing as I just read a book about an abusive relationship)...so I tried to take the door apart by myself. Right. So I went to my dad's, and he helped me...but it turns out one of the lever things inside the door totally broke off, so we couldn't really fix it without finding a new part. SOOO, I am kicking it with the passenger side door totally take apart, and have to reach inside the door to grab a lever that unhooks the door. It's great. I love you jeep.

And that's it for this week. Still writing away in my book...I am about twenty pages in.

No comments:

Post a Comment