Monday, November 7, 2011

November already

I can’t believe we are a week into November. We had snow in November last year! Oh, I want it to snow. Every time I step outside in the evening, it smells like snow to me. I think it is probably just everything getting situated with the new temperatures. I’m trying hard to appreciate each sunny Fall day we have been getting (we really have had such a beautiful Fall), but I am so ready for some snow…lots of snow. Though maybe I should get the hard top on the jeep first…

I am finally feeling a little bit of relief from work…I had a huge project two weeks ago, that still has a few loose ends, but is mostly complete, and then a smaller but still significant project that finished up this last Friday. Sigh…glad to be back into a semi-normal routine again. I definitely feel more awake and aware now that those are done.

My basketball team had our last practice on Saturday before our first game next Saturday. Obviously, the game doesn’t matter and they will all go out and play and have fun…but oh dear, I am worried about the game. I think there is maybe one or two girls that have ever played in a game ever…and we have really only been able to scrimmage a couple of times, due to the lack of numbers at each practice. And even those were only half court scrimmages… On Saturday, we sat down and went over the rules…what’s a travel, what’s a double dribble, what is out of bounds, etc. I know they know the answers, but I think when they get into that game setting, it’s all going to go out the window…oh well. It will be a good learning experience for all of us, and, if nothing else, we will have some good snacks after the game!

Sounders season is done. Brian has made a paper chain to count down the days until the 2012 season begins, and I believe is currently watching a video of all the goals the Sounders scored over the year. The playoff game on Wednesday was a rough night for him. It actually was a great game…they played really well, they won 2-0…Kasey Keller’s last game was at home, a shut out, and a win….it just was a bummer that they played SO poorly in the first game of the aggregate. They lost 0-3 in the first game and so had to win by 4 on Wednesday to move on to the next round. But…next year will be here before we know it…and I get to share season tickets! This year I’ve gone to a few games- whenever someone Brian sits with isn’t able to go…but next year, I’m actually sharing a seat with someone.

I went to a super cool show on Saturday night. The Fremont Abbey has started a new event (I think it is monthly? I hope so…) The event is called Cathedrals, and they hold it at St Mark’s on Capitol Hill. They bring in some musicians…the lights are low, the sound is beautiful…everyone sits in silence, just listening. Sigh, it was just really beautiful. This time it was Kelli Schaefer…who I was really excited to see in this setting- I love her voice, Cataldo, and My Brightest Diamond. Kelli Schaefer has a song that is one of my favorite songs- just in general. Gone In Love…it’s so pretty. Anyway…she did that song, with her mom singing harmonies. She said it was the first time they had performed that together. One of the verses- “I will sing my mother hymns of old when she is passing/for every heartache I have caused/oh my mother, I am sorry...I want you to know there is nothing you have done that has been wasted…” singing this in a giant cathedral, with her mom singing behind her…wow. My eyes got a little watery…and then after, some girl came up to her friend behind me and was like “I just bawled through that whole thing”. Very cool…I’m excited to see what other musicians they bring in.

I am giddy for the holidays this year…some years I can be a little bah-humbuggy, and get annoyed with the early holidays in the stores. This year I’m soaking up the pumpkin spice lattes, the Mighty O apple spice donuts, enjoying the Christmas tree displays, pumped about decorating at my mom’s house…and, again…CANT WAIT FOR SNOW.

Have a great week…

No comments:

Post a Comment