Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving week

I wrote this a few days ago, but only got to posting today...so it's a little dated.

You know how some days you wake up and then everything just goes your way…even the little things, like the crosswalk turns to walk as soon as you step up to the curb? I had one of those days on Sunday. Well, ALMOST one of those days. Which was much needed after the previous week!

I woke up Sunday morning and jumped in the newly covered jeep (yep, she is all ready for winter and looking like a legitimate rugged vehicle with her hard top back in place). Drove down to 826 for a special volunteer only event. Donuts with Dave…Dave Eggers was in town, so 826 arranged an event for about 40 volunteers to sit and chat and enjoy Mighty O donuts. Dave Eggers and Mighty O- could the day start any better? I don’t think so.

It was a super casual chat…he asked questions about what we were up to at 826, things we like, things we’d like to see happen. He talked about some of the other chapters and even offered to give relationship advice to anyone in need. I loved the way he talked about public education…along with other volunteers in the group- many of who are or have been teachers. Someone asked if 826 ever gets involved with politics (the answer is no, it is a non profit and can’t do any lobbying), in an education way, because the Seattle school district is really awful, etc…and another volunteer responded about how easy it is to group everybody together, but that there are some really amazing teachers and things happening in the Seattle school district. It is easy to only focus on the bad, and that there will be plenty of that- it is a LARGE, urban school district, but it is not lacking in teachers that care and work toward making a difference. She got a little choked up while she was saying this stuff…which I thought was really cool…she certainly cares. Also, Dave recently produced a documentary that follows four teachers around throughout the stages of their careers…it’s called American Teacher, and it looks great. Wish I could remember everything we talked about...

Right after 826, I drove down to U Village to meet up with the Dinner Club gals for the annual Christmas shopping trip. I got there a little earlier than them, so stopped to get a peppermint hot chocolate at Starbucks. So, I realize that I worked at Starbucks and that my drinks might be a little bit high maintenance (they really aren’t that difficult…I don’t ask for a particular temperature or amount of foam…I just think Starbucks drinks are too sweet, so I ask for fewer pumps of syrup…and nonfat milk…and no whip…etc), well…my drink is often made incorrectly. But this Starbucks made my peppermint hot chocolate JUST right. That right there, was enough to make my day great….BUT THEN, as I was leaving, I ran into my friend Olga, that I haven’t seen in waaaay too long. What a treat…a surprise run in with a few minutes to sit and chat. Big smile.

Then shopping with the gals…not super productive…I think we made it to 3 stores in two hours. I made one small purchase. But it was fun to hang out and browse and talk. I had to leave before everyone was done because I had to make a pie for Friendsgiving that night.

The pie-making ended up being the one not perfect part of the day…my TJ’s crust didn’t thaw in time, so we just had to stop at the store and pick one up. Wah wah wah. I don’t think friends at Friendsgiving cared that much though.

In other news…

- Jeep has her winter top….we are all ready and eagerly awaiting the next snow excitement. Took a little longer than usual, as the top gets morphed and re-shaped a little bit more every year. Haven’t come across any bonus spiders while driving yet, but I’m sure it’s only a matter of time.

- Had Thanksgiving with my mom and Ron…my mom made turkey that was stuffed with brie and wrapped in prosciutto. Ummm, yum.

- Bought a full pie from A La Mode- the new pie place down the street- for my mom’s thanksgiving. It’s a little bit expensive, but oh my, so good. I wish I could make crust like that. We ordered another pie from there for Thanksgiving with Brian’s family tonight.

And finally, in very sad news…we finished the full series of Friday Night Lights. I have written about FNL plenty of times on here. I love this show. Brian decided he would watch with me, so I got to start all the way at the beginning again, which meant I didn’t watch the final season when it was on TV. I was trying to keep the final season going as long as possible…only watching one episode at a time. But last night, we finished. I’m not going to give anything away because, again, as mentioned many times in previous posts, you should watch it! But, I’m so sad it is over…and I hope they don’t make a movie.

That’s all for this blustery day (I got to wear my Eeyore rainboots today)..have a fantastic holiday weekend…I am so thankful for YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment