Friday, November 27, 2009

I'm Thankful For...

Happy Black Friday...hope you found some super stellar deals out there at 5am this morning. I didn't make it out to shop because I got a weird charge on my card last week and had to cancel my card, and am patiently waiting for a new one to arrive. I am not thankful for people stealing my card number and buying chinese food in Chicago. But, here are a few things I am incredibly thankful for:
(sorry this didn't go up yesterday...I had it written and then the internet cut out and I lost almost the whole thing...grrr)

1. First of all, I am so unbelievably thankful for my faith in God. Life isn't always easy, and things you expect to happen- don't...opportunities you prepare and prepare and count on, fall through...and people can be disappointing. Without my constant faith that God will open the right doors- even if they aren't the ones I expect, bring good people into my life- I don't think I would be able to keep my positive outlook. I feel fortunate that I grew up being taught about God and that my belief has only grown as I have gotten older...I have known this peace my whole life. For that, I am so thankful.

2. At Thanksgiving yesterday, I told my family we should do the whole "what are you thankful for" thing- we have never done that. But after trying it, I actually think it is kind of silly, sitting at a table surrounded by family, because if you don't say how thankful you are for your wonderful family, then you are kind of a jerk. But seriously, I have the most supportive several families (oh, the blessings of being a kid of divorce...so many families) anyone could EVER have. And I would like to include my fabulous friends in my family group...because most of the time, it's your friends that are near you and with you to get you through life's trials- they are the family you get to choose. Without the amazing group of people around me (friend-family and family-family), I would never have the courage or confidence to go on the adventures I do...thank you.

3. I feel so lucky to be around in a time, a city, and with people that make me think anything is possible. It truly is...whether it be a new business idea, a creative project, etc...rather than just think and wonder about it- we live in a time where it is possible to make those ideas a reality. I am surrounded by an abundance of creative people that are constantly challenging the usual, and it is so inspiring. A year ago I decided to write a book, because I have experienced a ton of cool places and people, and because- well, why not? Who knows if my book is any good, if it will ever get published...but I am 110 pages into it- I think prior to this, the longest thing I had ever written was a 15 page paper for school...I never would have taken on the project if I didn't know anything is possible. Life should never be boring...so thankful.

4. Kids. Kids know the secret of life...playing. I do a good amount of babysitting and I have the greatest nieces and nephew, so I get the opportunity to be a kid, and just play, fairly often. And let me tell you, it is impossible to stay stressed out, or worry about much of anything while there is some pretend going on. Besides being fun, kids make you feel great...they don't judge you, they don't have unrealistic expectations...they just want you around-YOU are always enough. Highlight of my Thanksgiving...I arrived at my grandma's house, stepped into the kitchen to set my stuffed mushrooms down, glanced out in the living room- and there was my nephew, staring at me with a huuuuge grin on his face, waiting for me to notice him. As soon as I did, he raaaan over and jumped at me. And then dragged me to his play table where it was insisted I sit and play until he had to leave. Who would have a thought just a hug and some puzzle blocks could make someone so happy....kids get life.

5. Finally, I am so thankful for skype. Several of my very best friends are scattered around the country (a few in other countries) and because of skype, I can not only keep in touch with them, but I can SEE them...I can watch their facial expressions as they share stories of their day. They can move their computer around and show me where they are sitting or what they are cooking, or what projects they are working on. It obviously isn't AS good as being there...but it is very close. I try hard to keep in touch with my friends that don't live near me- email is obviously a great way to do that. Phone calls here and there. But I think I would lose the closeness of my friendships if we didn't make dates to skype and see each other. Thank you Jessica and Jessica and Rachel for making time to skype with me and keep our friendships a priority. Jen- I am expecting skype dates with you now! Anyone else?

Obviously, there are so many other things in life I am thankful for...I am so so blessed, but those are the things that are coming to mind at the moment. Hope you have had a great weekend!!

1 comment:

  1. I am thankful for Syke as well....and having such a dear friend as you! It's the people and day to day lives we lead that make life so great, and sharing those special moments as well adds all the more! Thanks for your fun blog! I always enjoy reading it to hear what you're up to and what's on your mind! I usually read from my phone, and don't have the abilit to post a comment...but not today...and not for such a special entry!

    Miss you & love you!

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete