Thursday, November 12, 2009

Friday, the 13th

Hello, hello...it is Friday (I'm not going to lie...it's actually Thursday right now...Friday for you though!)...I am currently sitting in my Starbucks...an hour before my shift (which starts at 5:30am...I know, I'm crazy), but I wanted to carpool, and gosh knows I always have something I can be catching up on! I have had a busy/exhausting/fun week...here ya go:

1. First of all, I have been a bit better about the procrastinating on my writing...I actually had 3 days of writing the number of words I am supposed to per day to meet my NaNoWriMo goal. And it feels great to be back writing productively. I cleared my desk off in my room, used the "genius" function on my itunes, and drank massive amounts of tea...and have just been a-writing. The thing I like amount this writing contest is that it is all about quantity...so even if I can't find the exact word I want to use, or the phrasing that sounds right, I write it down anyway...because really, editing will happen later. This way I am less worried about the words being publishable and more concerned with finishing, getting it all down. Which has been very freeing. I did miss writing yesterday, which means I have a lot of catching up to do this weekend. That's the tough part about this contest...if you miss a day, there is a lot of writing to make up for, because there are no days off from writing for the whole month.

2. Went to a trivia night on Monday with a few pals. I have been wanting to do trivia night for a looong time...I found a website that lists a bunch of trivia night options for each day of the week, by neighborhood, in Seattle. The downside of trivia night is that it is during the week, and it is usually late at night (the one we went to was an early one, and it started at 9)...so it is toough to do when one has to wake up at 3:30am. So we found a day that worked with the early morning rising...Kate's Pub in Wallingford. The host was fun and took a liking to Willow...which meant that when he told the group he would give everyone a hint about one question- he gave us the answer. We didn't win...but did alright. If you know of any good trivia night places, let me know...we want to make it a regular thing, and while the group really likes Kate's...I really like trying out different options. Here is the website for finding a trivia night, if you are interested: http://www.quiznight.net/

3. Adventurer's Club made our way to The Round this past Tuesday. It isn't so adventurous for me, since I have been several times- though every month is totally different! but Rachel and Willow had never been, so I think it still counted for a club meeting. I know I have written about the Round before, but I really think it is worth writing about, and checking out, if you've never been...it's such a cool event! The second Tuesday of every month (though not this december, the holiday show is being held at The Triple Door and is on Dec 1st)...they bring in 3-5 musicians from the area who sit in a round and play songs, one by one...the other musicians start joining in on the other's songs...and in between rounds there is slam poetry, and art being painted in the background all the while. What impressed me most this week was one of the poets...he is from Youth Speaks...and wad to have been a high school kid...like 17 years old, and here he is standing in front of a huge room full of people older than him, and he is just belting out all these words and emotions. It's so brave. If you are interested in checking out The Round, here is the website: http://www.theround.org/

4. I went to two movies last weekend- saaw the Time Traveler's Wife...for book club. It wasn't very good. I really liked the book, but figured it would be a tough movie to make...and I dn't think it would have made much sense without having read the book. And while I LOVE Rachel McAdams...and am fine with Eric Bana...the acting was not great. Though the end of the movie was still a tear jerker...and definitely a book/movie worth talking about- which we did, at Denny's over peppermint hot cocoa. I also saw Where the Wild Things Are. Most of the people I know who had already seen it were disappointed. It definitely isn't what you are expecting from the kids book....but I knew what it was about going in, so I was prepared. And I liked it...again, definitely a movie worth talking about after. It's both sweet and so sad. And really makes you think about all the emotions kids have, and that it is important to listen to them and respect the fact that they DO have those feelings.

5. With my newfound writing routine, I have also started my workout routine back up. I go through phases where I'm really good about working out, and then I'll go weeks without doing anything on a regular basis...I have found that if I go straight to the gym from work, then all is good...but if I have to stop home first to grab my stuff...chances are, I won't be going to the gym. I'll get distracted, and occasionally decide that a nap would do me more good than a workout. BUT, since the new writing schedule, I have been going to the gym straight from work...and discovered that when I work out- I don't feel the need to take a nap. I have so much more energy...despite the lack of sleep during the week. I did slip once this week and took a nap, and regretted it the moment I woke up...luckily I was meeting someone for a greenlake walk, so I was still forced to get outside. I really need to find some effective working out that isn't running though...sometimes it is hard to feel motivated about running on a treadmill. I wish I could play a sport...basketball would be ideal.

Alright...I need to pack...headed to E-burg for the weekend. Later...

No comments:

Post a Comment