Friday, February 27, 2009

Five on Friday 2/27- but really six

Hey! Back again, another week- come and gone, quickly- as it should. Last week was just a fluke, I think.

Before I begin the Friday Five, a quick story from this morning. I opened at Starbucks...a nice, early 4:30am work day. I am getting the pastry case ready, go to take the garbage to the back room, trip over a box of mocha sitting on the ground (that I put there, mind you)...as I am trying to catch by balance, I am thinking about the pain in my shin that is sure to turn into a lovely bruise, when I realize I am still falling- face first- toward the big metal sanitation machine (think dishwasher). Thanks to my recent pilates work, I can feel my core muscles tighten up (yeah, right) and slow my fall, preventing complete face distruction. Instead, I ended up on my chin...a nice little cut and, at the time, a huge bump that was beginning to turn purple. Really attractive. It was one of those moments where I couldn't decide if I should laugh or cry...it hurt like hell, but picturing what the fall must have looked like was pretty funny...it could have been worse.

Here is your Five for the week...

1. I had the fantastic opportunity to visit the Mountain Music Lounge on Monday to watch the interview and music from Andrew Bird...who is amazing. The music lounge has changed quite a bit since I left (well, the whole station has really), so now the music lounge is just out in the open, middle of the room, where all the sales cubicles used to be. So Andrew Bird is pretty incredible. Listening to his albums are great on their own...but seeing the guy live- a must-do!! He does the looping thing, and he plays several different instruments...it's a whole big process that just comes out both beautiful, and really interesting (in a good way, totally!) After the lounge he signed some posters for the people watching, and then, suddenly...the chairs are being moved aside and there is a giant ping pong table in the middle of the music lounge. John Fisher and Andrew Bird are playing ping pong...and I have been given the task of videotaping for the website. Andrew is quite the ping pong player...apparently he used to have one in his Chicago apartment. He claimed that apartments in Chicago are pretty big (sooo not true) but then later confessed that it may have taken the place of a couch or table...priorities.

2. I have moved away from the Young Adult genre of book reading for a bit. I have started reading 'Water For Elephants'...it has been out for a little while but is kind of the new craze for book clubs. It's about life on the road with a circus (at least so far that is what it is about)...I'm enjoying it. Pretty easy read and the chapters are short enough to be able to read for a little while and put it down...very important.

3. For 'out of the comfort zone' point...I spent the last two days in court. Yeah, that's never fun. I got a ticket in December for expired tabs...I didn't even think about checking them when I got home from Europe. And I didn't have my new insurance card on me...so I got a ticket for that too. Then, the very next day that I was driving, pulled over for the same thing...two tickets for over $600 each. So yesterday I drove ALL the way down to Tacoma. The judge dismissed both charges...but I still had to pay $125 in random fines and fees and such. Ugh. Then today I had to go back down to Federal Way and appear again...this time the judge threw out the insurance part (since I did have it), but only reduced the fine on the tabs...so I had to pay $225 to Fed Way. Ugh...there goes all my fun plans for my tax return. Boo.

4. I have a gym membership at LA Fitness, and have been going to a very lame-o one (they bought my old gym and were just running it temporarily until their new Seattle location was finished)...they finally finished the new gym. And it is great! I went three different days this week...I did a yoga class, swam, pilates and ran. I love being able to swim...I am terrible at it, but I am so worried that running is going to ruin me in my old age. The gym is all new and nice and they provide towels and the lockers lock on their own (no more leaving my stuff in a locker hoping no one would take it)...and apparently in my three days at the new gym, I have become a gym snob. On my Thursday court day, I didn't want to drive back up to Seattle in traffic, so I figured I would visit the Fed Way LA Fitness and work out while I killed time. Yeah...no automatic lockers (and I worried much more about my stuff getting stolen there!) and no towels...so I had to use my gross, sweaty t-shirt to sort of dry off...because I did an intense run. Yeah, gym snob.

5. I bought a plane ticket to New York this week. Well, actually, it is to Philadelphia. I am going to visit my pal J-Mac in Princeton, and am going to hang out in NYC, and visit the family I lived with in Europe, and see some pals in Philly. I am really, really excited. It isn't until May...which is actually even better...because anticipation is half the fun. I purposefully bought the ticket BEFORE going to court because I knew I would have a hard time justifying it when I have a big ol fine to pay. This is probably why I am always broke. Any extra money= plane ticket. Oh well, there are worse things, I suppose.

That's it for this week...oh wait, one more thing.

6. I spent last Saturday down at the Tacoma Dome watching the high school state wrestling tournament...because my cutie little cousin, Tanner made it to state as a freshman. I have never been a big fan of wrestling...I remember watching them running around in plastic bags and not being able to eat and it seemed really unhealthy. BUT, it was cool being at the tournament. Seeing all the emotions on those kids' faces. Hugging their coaches. It was pretty cool...and definitely brought back my desire to coach.

Okay...that's all, really. Have a fab weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment