Friday, September 25, 2009

running on no sleep...

Yaaaawwwnn. I am sitting here in my living room, writing up my blog, when I really should be taking a nap. Because I have had about five hours of sleep over the last 48 hours. Didn’t even sleep last night. But, I didn’t want to let you all down and not post a blog (like last week, I know…my Friday got busier than anticipated). I have had a crazy week…

1. The reason I didn’t get around to posting last week is Adventurers Club took a camping trip to the Hoh rainforest over on the Olympic Peninsula. There was significantly more last minute running around than I anticipated that morning. There were three of us…and while we all have been camping a number of times, and really like the IDEA of camping…in reality- none of us are “campers”…we are always the tagalongs to other “campers” trips. We hopped on a later ferry than we hoped, spent waaaay too long at the grocery store, and were stopped by a malfunctioning bridge all on our way there. So, by the time we got the campsite- it was dark. I don’t know if you have driven through the rainforest in the dark…while it is amazingly cool…it is also SUPER creepy. And as we were entering the campground…ohh, look- some deer on the side of the road….wait, those aren’t deer. OMG…those are COUGARS! Yeah, two cougars on the side of the road…just kicking it…maybe twenty feet from us. We were nearly dinner. The thought of turning around and making the 4 hour drive back crossed our mind…what did we get ourselves into?! Needless to say, we didn’t sleep well that night. We also had a visitor to our campsite the following day…a HUGE elk strolled on over. Crazy. We went on a nice walk/hike, drove to the beaches, stopped in at Twilight town, I mean Forks. Which was RIDICULOUS/hilarious. Every single business had some Twilight reference displayed on it…signs “This is where Bella drinks coffee”, “this is where Edward DOESN”T sleep”…funny, funny. Overall, great trip…I think we were a little in over our heads…but we survived…we built a fire, used a camper stove, slept on the rocky ground.

2. I was lucky enough to get an invite to the Pearl Jam show on Monday night, with Ben Harper opening. I’ve never been super into Pearl Jam (gasp!)…I know the radio songs and like those, but never felt the need to buy an album or pay for concert tickets. I was coming off of the camping weekend and not feeling especially rested…but you don’t say no to Pearl Jam and Ben Harper. Figured I’d stay for a bit, say I went, and go home to bed. No way! It was SUCH an awesome show! I always appreciate bands that you can watch and enjoy without knowing the words to the songs…and they did play a few of the radio songs, but not a ton…and I loved the whole show. Even the part where Eddie Vedder stopped singing and let the entire arena take over….which normally drives me CRAZY (I came to the show to hear the band…not random strangers)…but even that was very cool. If you aren’t in Seattle, and Pearl Jam is going to your city…you should go. For sure.

3. Wednesday night I got some last minute tickets to the Howie Day/Colbie Callait (no idea if that’s spelled right…not interested in looking it up…you know who I mean…the Bubbly girl). I was hoping to be able to do, because the idea of Howie being in Seattle and not seeing him made me sad…but after giving his new album six FULL listens and still being really disappointed…I just wasn’t feeling the need to pay money to see those songs. But, I got the tickets (relief!)…and the show was disappointing too. I just saw him play in August at Mountain Music Fest and he was great…this show…really boring. Like he just wanted to get through the set. Boo. We didn’t stay for Colbie…because I just don’t care for her so much.

4. My roommate and her pals watch America’s Next Top Model every season…generally they watch at our apartment because we have the big comfy couch. And they play “Fantasy Top Model”…like Fantasy Football. You pick your favorite top model, and your second choice, throw in $10…and suddenly the show is a little more interesting. Since I usually end up watching with them, I decided to join in the game this season. This is the petite model- 5’7” and under season…and they are beyond ANNOYING! And Tyra kills me. But now that I am rooting for Sundae and Brittany…it’s all a little more interesting.

5. I have been OBSESSED with apple spice donuts at Mighty O. Mighty O is a vegan donut place in Green Lake…if you live in Seattle and haven’t been there yet, you should definitely go- there are tons of flavors. But I am especially fond of the Fall seasonal flavors. I am sure they will be having some pumpkin ones soon, but so far, just the apple spice. And they are so so good. I am not a donut person…I could take them or leave them…I certainly never crave them. But I find myself being pulled that way, when I’m out being productive, running errands…it’s like a magnet that I just can’t fight. Yuuummm. I want one right now.

And on that note…I’m out. Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment