Friday, June 12, 2009

Friday Five- Ways to Save a Buck

As I was thinking about what I would include in my Friday Five this week, I realized I have had a REALLY boring week. And that is because, in the past two weeks, I have spent a total of $20- $15 for gas and $5 for parking. I know, you are impressed/sad for me. My friend gave me the brilliant idea of Five Way to Save a Buck...so, here they are:

1. Search through the free weekly newspaper (Seattle Weekly, The Stranger) for free festivals or free classes. The Adventurers Club found a free class last weekend at a local mind/body/soul-type place. It was the first class in a series of regular, so the first one was free ($15 normally...what a steal!) We participated in some Nia. I told Rachel, prior to the start of class, that what happened in that room was not to leave that room- for two reasons- 1. I watched an online video about what Nia is, and I was already feeling uncomfortable before even arriving, and 2. I am the most uncoordinated dancer ever. It's embarrassing. Really. BUT, after going, and fully participating (it took me a few minutes to full on go for it)...I decided it was fun and definitely worth talking about. It was a lot of pretending, which I can TOTALLY do..."pretend you are wearing a cape and you have to hide inside of it, you are peaking around a corner..." Yeah, really. It wasn't the most difficult work out- though I think they were taking it easy because it was a free class, but it was definitely fun...and more importantly, cost NOTHING.

2. Make coffee beverages at home. It isn't as fun, I know. But, it helps if you find a mug that you really like...I have been collecting starbucks city mugs from all the places I've lived, and I like to drink my coffee drinks out of them, sit on my couch, and pretend the Eiffel Tower is right outside my window (I told you I am a really good pretender). Plus, I used a couple of my partner beverages (the free drinks I get when I work) to take home a few pumps of the mocha syrup or the chai syrup...so I can make a real starbucks beverage at home. You non-partners can't really do that...but maybe invest in some syrups, or chocolate syrup...or honey on top is pretty delicious (speaking of honey...I just saw some Honey Moon at QFC...as in Blue Moon...my favorite beer...I haven't had it yet, and sadly, I am babysitting tonight so will not be tasting it...but perhaps tomorrow? I'll let you know...) I digress...coffee at home, yes, saves you lots of money. Though if you had any intentions of visiting me at my store, by all means, pull out the cash and come say hello...it will make my day.

3. textsfromlastnight.com Ummm, have you been to this website yet? Yes? Well, then you know what I am talking about....tens of minutes of entertainment that is...oh yeah, free. No, you haven't? Ummm, go there right now. And be prepared to both laugh and be disgusted. In a funny way mostly though. People post their ridiculous texts from last night on the site...love it. Check it out. Totally free.

4. I know you have been wondering, since the beginning of my post, "Eryn- if you have spent $20 in the last two weeks and only on your beloved jeep...what are you eating?" Well, let me tell you about a little bit of deliciousness called gourmet box mac and cheese. Step 1. Take your preferred brand of box mac and cheese (kraft, annie's, trader joe's, safeway select, etc), prepare as directed on the box. 2. Go through your veggie drawer and pull out those vegetables that haven't quite gone bad yet (but are prob getting close?), throw them in the boiling water for the last 2 minutes of noodle boiling, 3. Search through your pantry for the emergency stash of tuna fish you have in the back, and throw that in the fully mixed dish. Voila...gourmet mac and cheese with all your basic food groups. This is also a fantastic meal option while touring around the country in a bus with a band...It's delicious. (I haven't really been living on that for two weeks...I've actually only had it once...though other similar creations have been discovered with random ingredients in said fridge and pantry). Your welcome.

5. So it's a beautiful, sunshiney day...and you really want to go out and enjoy it...but you know that if you go outside, you will be tempted to get some ice cream, perhaps at Molly Moon's? Then your super friend texts and asks if you want to stroll around Greenlake. Brilliant. Amy and I made ourselves some delicious coffee beverages at my apartment (if you are confused, refer to point number 2 in this issue of the Friday Five), and then walked over to Greenlake and around the lake and then back to the apartment. Awesome friend catching up time, vitamin D intake, and a false feeling of partaking in a work out. So good. Then Amy decided she REALLY wanted a Mighty O donut. So we hopped in the jeeper (still topless folks, the sun has not left me yet!) and turned the summer mix CD up, and did some dancing, singing, and mostly feeling rad and drove up to Mighty O. Ohhhh, closed. Luckily, Zoka is right across the street. Amy and I shared the largest slice of Key Lime pie in the world. Save money tip...share with a friend (unfortunately for Amy, she didn't actually save any money because she bought the full piece...I just ate half of it).

And that's how it works, kids. Today was payday...I just treated myself to a store-bought coffee...mostly because I have three hours to kill on Mercer Island between babysitting jobs...I figured I should purchase a drink instead of loitering.

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment