Friday, June 19, 2009

Friday Five 6/19

Thank goodness this week went by faster than last's...I actually think last week might STILL be happening somewhere. BUT, here is your Friday Five for THIS week...woo.

1. Thank you rain gods. It's about time. We were one day away from setting a record for days without any rain. I know I have been praying and hoping for continued sunshine due to the condition of my jeep (and it's lack of a functioning top), but the humidity that was happening here was ridiculous. This is the Northwest- we don't do humidity...we leave that miserable, sticky, gross feeling to you east coasters, and southerners, and mid-westerners. Not over here in the west. And certainly not here in Seattle, where air conditioning doesn't really exist. But rain it did- I was slightly surprised at the lifting of my heart, as I was frothing milk and pulling espresso shots, to see the rain start falling outside our store. Yes, my heart...it lifted. It is still a bit humid- but it is a tad better. The sky is overcast and I am happy.

2. Ohhh, the jeep. The jeep, the jeep. So I spent a good deal of time searching for the parts I need to keep the soft top from flying off as I drive (as it currently does)...Finally, I found them. I went to a jeep dealership, they helped me find the right parts and they have been ordered. The parts haven't arrived yet, so I can't drive in the rain...I put the top up temporarily (didn't put the windows in though...I haven't checked out the status of the inside since it started raining. I'm sure it's fine.) But, the parts are ordered. Sigh of relief. Let me tell you a little bit about the pride I felt when I drove into the jeep dealership. I pulled in, someone came out to meet me and asked how they can help me. And then asked what year my jeep was...and was blown away by the good condition it's in for how old it is. Then we walked in, and a whole group of the guys that worked there grouped around me and started talking about how the Sahara edition (what I have) was THE jeep to get back in the day, and how cool it was to see, and they all wanted to go check her out. Yeah...all you jeep naysayers...she is rad. The jeep people know.

3. I started and finished The Golden Compass this week. And I really liked it! The dads and I watched the movie last year in Barcelona...I didn't really know much about it, didn't even know it was a book (a trilogy, actually)...and someone left the book at my store, so I took it home and read it. Pretty fast. It has that sort of Lord of the Rings feel to it (not as good)...the whole innocence vs evil, magic, monsters- good and bad, twists and turns, etc. I have heard the first book is the best of the three, which is always a little disappointing to hear, but I am still planning on checking out the other two. If you haven't yet, I recommend the read. Now I have started my first re-read of To Kill A Mockingbird. Very excited.

4. Starbucks Shared Planet...I took a Barista 200 class this week for Starbucks and learned a lot more about what Starbucks' Shared Planet initiative is about. Before the class, I had heard the term tossed around a bit in the store, but never knew WHAT it was or what we, as partners or as customers, could do to be a part of it (or even if we wanted to be a part of it...really no clue what it was about). But, I learned. And it is really pretty cool. Starbucks has some hefty goals they are planning to reach by the year 2015- which are totally doable...IF we know about the tools they have provided and USE them. Right now I feel like there isn't much being done, at a store level, to implement changes and work toward our goals. So, I decided I am going to be the Shared Planet Embassador at my store...hehe. I'll post more information about it as I get things rolling. In the meantime, if you are interested in more information- go to www.starbucks.com/sharedplanet

5. I am looking into putting together an Adventurer's Club camping trip. Those involved in Adventurer's Club thus far (it isn't exclusive...you can be part if you want...just let me know and I'll give you the login to our event calendar!) are fairly indecisive and easygoing...which is nice, but means I have to make decisions, which I'm not so good at. They don't care where we camp- ocean, mountains, islands, eastern wa, etc...if you have any suggestions of cool campsites you recommend (that aren't too pricey- remember the objectives of A.C....cheap being one- and that will still have openings this late in the year), PLEASE pass them along so I can get this trip a-going. Yay.

That's it for this week...hope yours was stellar...see ya next week.
E

No comments:

Post a Comment