Saturday, May 9, 2009

Friday 5...15...50? East Coast

Hello from Princeton, NJ. Please be prepared to look up big, important words in a dictionary, perhaps not completely follow my extensive line of thinking, and perhaps feel less than adequate...I mean, I have just spent a week at Princeton. My IQ has obviously increased dramatically.

I have had such an amazing time on this trip...I have somehow managed to not overschedule myself, but still get much in...and have been able to see so many friends. Awesome. So here are a few highlights of my trip (so far, I still have two more days):

1. Twist. This is on the top of my mind because we just returned from this heavenly do-it-yourself yogurt shop. Yeah, you read right. Do it yourself. First thing you do is ask for a sample cup, so you can test the eight different flavors of frozen yogurt. According to Tyra Banks, this sampling is a perfect way to portion control...that's right, Tyra walks in for a sample and leaves without buying anything. Luke, Jessica and I made up for her. We filled our bowls with a combination of the flavors, and then moved on to the toppings...fruit, cereal, candy, nuts, coconut...everything. Delicious. Love it. Please open one in Seattle!

2. On my first night in town, we met up with a group of their friends and had dinner and went to see the new XMen movie. I don't know if you are aware, but Tim Riggins is in the movie...so while I don't typically care much about the comic movies...I was looking forward to seeing my boyfriend in a setting outside of the Dillon, TX football field (Friday Night Lights, if you aren't following). Movie was not so great. The end kinda sucked. And Riggins' character wasn't so great...they definitely could have done more with it.

3. I worked one day at the Starbucks here in Princeton. It was an unusually slow day at the store...it was raining, and apparently people don't leave their house in the rain- though I did see an abundance of adorable rain boots on the people that did brave the rain...I think everyone had a pair. My shift went by quickly and the people I worked with were great. Everyone was in awe of my Seattle heritage...they kept telling the customers that the barista making their drink today is all the way from the home of Starbucks...people were expecting great things from their coffee beverages. I'm sure I exceeded all their expectations. Right. I did convince several of them to visit Seattle...that it is beautiful and friendly.

4. Luke and Jessica took me to a pizza and wine tasting restaurant- Teresa's Cafe...sooo much fun! On Monday nights they do this tasting- first, they bring out an antipasta plate for the table to share. Then two different kinds of pizza (with one piece of each kind for each person at the table), then another two pizzas, then another set, finally followed by dessert. and each course had a wine to pair with it. Luke kept saying he was disappointed with the pizza variety...but I thought it was awesome...I wish I could remember all the kinds...there was definitely fig involved in one, walnuts and goat cheese on another, some pesto, red, and white sauces.

5. Princeton campus...is gorgeous! The dorms are like castles. The buildings are all old, with ivy and flowers draped down the walls. Jen came into town for a couple of days and we went on a tour of the campus. We took fun pictures- I climbed a tree (and fell out of it- it was slippery!), we found an empty lecture hall (where Einstein apparently lectured) and took pictures writing equations on the blackboard and pretending to teach behind the podium. Yeah, pretty cool.

6. Jessica took Jen and I to Washington's Crossing state park...we saw a video about where the Americans defeated the British in some fight that took place in Princeton. My Philly friend, Dave met up with us there and then we went to this cute little town- New Hope- nearby for lunch. It was all very historical and old and cool.

7. Dave kidnapped me from them and took me in to Philadelphia for a walking tour through the rainy streets of the city. We were a little late getting into the city, so most of the touristy sites were closed, but we walked through them...I saw the liberty bell through the window...which I think was probably just as good a view anyway. We went to "Love Park"...for the City of Brotherly Love. Then we met up with our friends Veronica and Tom...both from areas just out of Philly. All past Disney college program folks. I haven't seen them in such a long time, but it was like it hadn't been any time at all...we had dinner, ice cream and drinks, and just really fun conversation. It made me sad to think about how long it would be before I see them again...stupid distance. Grrr...I hate it.

8. NYC! Thursday, Dave brought me back to Princeton, and Jessica, Jen, Luke and I hopped on the train and headed into NYC. We went right to lunch at Max Brenner's- which is a craaaazy chocolate place...like a combo between classy and Willy Wonka. We had onion rings with a chocolate ranch dipping sauce...we had rich, intense hot chocolates, and a hazelnut banana crepe for dessert. Sooo good. I wish I hadn't gotten full...I could have sat there all day. We left there and visited St. Pat's cathedral, which was beautiful and reminded me of my european adventure.


9. A Whitney spotting...on our way to check out the plaza hotel, I noticed a small camera crew on the street and was wondering what they were filming. I looked at the crowd up ahead, trying to pick out who they could be focusing on. Wait, it must be that tall blonde girl in the ridiculous short polka dot skirt...walk a little closer...omg, it's Whitney! From the Hills, and the City! I was sooo dorky and excited....possibly walked a little faster toward her...may have made it into a shot.

10. Birthday dinner- we met up with a few other friends in West Village...I was still feeling a bit exhausted from the day before, so we didn't make it a late night. But we had some yummy mexican food and they did the whole singing Happy Birthday thing for me. I saaw my friend Adam, who lives in NYC and recently got engaged...with a bench in central park that is theirs forever and says the "will you marry me" thing...so cute!

11. A visit with Cory and Addy- On Friday, I hopped on the train to South Orange, NJ to visit the family I stayed with in Europe. I was so excited to see the kids! As I walked off the bus and toward their mini-van (which they cringe at every time the word comes up), I could see Cory in the back seat, with his GIANT smile and he was laughing so hard. It was adorable! They took me home and showed me around. The kids took a rest, and then we took them to the park to play for a little while. The dads made a delicious birthday dinner for me...salmon, rice, asparagus, salad, champagne...and Rob made a rhubarb pie- completely from scratch- with rhubarb from his AMAZING garden. It was so good. And Grandma Yaya came over with cupcakes she made...we did the candles and singing. Adorable. Then the kids watched a little Monsters Inc- their current fav (last I heard, they were way into Mama Mia) and they went to bed. And I jumped back on the train to Princeton.

I have another day and a half before I head home...not entirely sure what they will hold...I will probably write a follow up before next Friday...maybe add some pics after I upload them.

It has been such a great trip!!

No comments:

Post a Comment