Thursday, March 19, 2009

Friday Five- Disney World Edition

As you know, I adore Disney. In my world, Disney World truly is the happiest place on earth. Every aspect of it has been created to make people believe in dreams and happily-ever-afters.

I have been to Disney a few times. I don’t know how many times anymore. I don’t even know how to count the times, since I lived there for a little while and have worked there, seasonally, for the past 8 yrs. And it is very likely that my mom has been there even more than I have. So, for the most part, we are pretty much experts. It is always exciting when there is a new ride or a new parade- something we haven’t experienced yet…so my Friday Five- Disney Edition, is going to be about our new discoveries this time around.

1. Kim Possible Secret Agent Missions. I know, I know…you are thinking “Kim Possible? Really? Who cares about Kim Possible”…that is what I was thinking when I saw the secret agent recruitment stations set up around EPCOT. But, we figured we should check it out anyway. And it was really cool! You sign up at a recruitment station and they give you a top secret assignment. They give you a communication device (which has been cleverly disguised as a cell phone, to keep the spies from catching on), and Wade, at home base, gives you directions about where to go to find clues. You are assigned a country somewhere in the world showcase and that is where your entire mission takes place. The clues take you around the country, in search of specific landmarks, art, etc. When you find the clue, you point your communication device at it, and that gives you your next clue. So this whole project has actually become a part of the backdrop of each country- like they really put some time into developing this activity. I was totally impressed…it kept our interest, as adults, but was also easy enough for kids to do on their own. And it was fun to see family groups working together to solve their own mystery throughout the day.

2. Campfire Movie Nights. I know this has been going on for a little while- my mom informed me- but I hadn’t heard about it before. In three locations around property- Fort Wilderness, Grand Floridian beach, and Yacht and Beach Club beach, they hold a singalong, build campfires and sell s’more ingredients, and show a movie on a big screen. So great! We went to the Fort Wilderness campfire- that included appearances by Chip and Dale, and the night we went, they were showing The Parent Trap (the new version…too bad). It was such a fun evening! We happened across the Yacht and Beach Club beach location on our last night, and figured we would wait and see what the movie was- lounged out on the beach chairs, while kids played in the sand all around, building castles and digging moats…only to find out they were showing Beverly Hills Chihuahua…yikes. We didn’t stay…but such a cute idea just the same.

3. There was a new ride at MGM, excuse me- Disney’s Hollywood Studios, as it is now called- a Toy Story ride, in their new Pixar area of the park. The pixar area was ADORABLE…it was themed soo well- although I do think they could have done more with other Pixar movies- it was mostly Toy Story. My mom had already been on the new ride, and described it as similar to the Buzz Lightyear ride in Magic Kingdom, where you have a lasor gun and shoot at targets to rack up points. I’m not a huge fan of the Buzz Lightyear ride…mostly because I’m not very good at it and my finger gets tired of pulling the trigger. So I wasn’t feeling overly excited about the new Toy Story ride- why did they create a similar ride for the SAME movie? Oh, but it was a blast!! They give you 3-D glasses and you sit in a car that moves you along from screen to screen, stopping to shoot at targets…not with a lasor gun though- it is more of a cannonball kind of contraptions where you have to aim and pull a string. Surprisingly, I was awesome at the game (beat my mom- who is undefeated at Buzz Lightyear)…and therefore, thought it was a ton-o-fun. I can’t be the only one though- the ride opened last May, and the wait time remains above 80 minutes for the entire day and the Fastpasses are all gone by 11am. Unbelievable.

4. We saw a Space Shuttle launch. We were sitting amoung the thousands of other guests, waiting for Fantasmic to start (my very favorite night time show), when all of a sudden, people started standing, clapping, talking excitedly…we thought perhaps someone was doing a show to entertain us while we waited (for an hour) for the show, but then we looked up, over the mountain backdrop of Fantasmic, and there was the Space Shuttle flying through the air. So cool. We saw a piece of it detach and fall away. And it was really amazing to see how people reacted- we really felt like we were part of something…corny as it sounds, it got us a little choked up. We didn’t even know there was going to be a launch while we were there, so we just happened to be in a good place at the right time. I looked up where it is going and what for: It is the shuttle Discovery and was meant to launch a few days prior, but due to a leak, was cancelled and rescheduled for Sunday. It was heading to the ISS to deliver and install a few solar panels.

5. Finally, nothing new to the average American, but new to Disney World...they have created the "American Idol Experience". Oh man. Actual guests audition to perform on an incredibly realistic American Idol stage in front of a room full of other guests. There are actual judges (who definitely fill the roles of Simon, Paula and Randy...really funny!)and after the people sing their little hearts out, we (the audience) votes on who will continue on to the final round. Each day there are something like 6 or 7 shows, and the winners from each show all go up against each other in the final show of the day. And the winner receives a ticket to go to the front of the line at any ACTUAL American Idol audition around the country. I heard they had this new show and I didn't know what to expect! I mean, random guests singing in front of a crowd...karaoke?! But no, since they do an audition first, the people that are chosen actually CAN sing....although are certainly not professional performers! The theming was awesome...really felt like it was the show- at least what I would imagine as I watch from the couch in my living room.

It was a stellar trip...I had so much fun hanging out with Mom, and relaxing a bit. Oh, I forgot to mention...we were there on St Patricks Day, and the UK (in EPCOT) was serving green beer. Disney World is great.

No comments:

Post a Comment