Friday, March 13, 2009

Friday the 13th, again

Isn't it fun to have two months of Friday the 13th in a row?! While I'm not superstitious at all (a full moon tonight, on top of Friday the 13th!), I still think special days are fun...something to make the normal somehow abnormal. Even if it isn't really. Here are your five for the week.

1. Oh man, I experienced the greatest music night of my life on Wednesday evening. That may be a slight exaggeration, but not much. I got an email from my friend about a show happening at Chop Suey that I might be interested in checking out. It did, in fact, sound interesting. I figured I wasn't going to find any of my friends that would care to join me, so I ventured out on my own. I didn't know what to expect...was it actually what is said it would be? What kind of people would be attending this type of show (other than me)? I was cautious- didn't want to get my hopes up. But let me tell you, Disney Cover Song Night did NOT disappoint. Oh, where to begin. Disney Cover Song Night was several local bands performing a few Disney songs each. The first band was terrible...the singer (I have a hard time calling him a singer though, because he yelled) didn't know any of the words to the songs. I do have to give him a little credit though because one of the songs he picked was the theme song to Gummi Bears...and man, I haven't heard that in a while. Then there were two girls, one on accordian and one singing, that did Poor Unfortunate Souls from Little Mermaid, that was awesome. And then, the adorable boys in hats started taking the stage. And it wasn't just one band, it was like three performances in a row...of adorable musician boys. And if you know me at all, you know I have a tad bit of a weakness for the cute musician boy...put a guitar in a a guy's hand, and he is 10x hotter. Can you imagine if said boy is singing a Disney song? Swoooon. For the most part, the bands tried to do somewhat obscure songs...all of which I proudly knew, of course. Highlights included adorable boy doing "Can you feel the love tonight" (seriously, suh-woon), another adorable boy sitting with his guitar doing a Robin Hood tune....but my favorite was probably the Pete's Dragon song...in the movie, Elliot, the dragon, talks back to Pete- but not with words, and the band's bass player did Elliot's part on the bass...it was so perfect. I won't go into any more detail, both because point one has turned into a mini-novel in itself, and also because you are starting to re-think being my friend anymore....but it was a really fun/hilarious/adorable night. And the place was packed. I think it is a yearly thing...I can't wait for next time.

2. I have gotten back to my reading a ton...stayed away from the TV, for the most part. I got through two more Sarah Dessen books...both of which I liked. I finally got her most recent one at the library...it has been checked out for awhile. And I really liked it. She has a pretty standard formula to all of her books- main character girl has some problem...generally some family issue that causes self-esteem problems...two supporting character friends, one that is a quirky but nice and one that is a bit standoff-ish but comes around, one quirky/guiding adult character...generally a boss of some sort. And then the boy that isn't your usual dreamboat guy, but is cute "in his own way" and interesting, who ends up saving the girl in the end and helping her realize her worth. Despite the predictability, I do enjoy her books- she creates good characters. I am always sad when I finish, and feel like I am losing my new friends. Which sounds corny...but is true. But her latest book was a little different...still had the usual characters, but girl saves boy in this book. Which I love. I feel like all these young adult books are boy saves girl- where are the strong female characters? Anyway, her new book- "Lock and Key" is up for a Children's Choice Book Award. In other book reading news, I went to the library and checked out a couple of the Polk Street School books. I am so excited to re-read them...I used to read the books to my mom in the car during our commutes to and from school when I was in first and second grade...and we both loved them. I'm hoping it will help me with my kid book writing.

3. I'm making it a goal to be more social. Not just see and talk to people social, because I do a lot of that...I see my pals on a regular basis, and goodness knows I talk to enough people every day at Starbucks...but I am going to make an effort to say yes when I am invited out to things, or to possibly check out stuff on my own...maybe being more social isn't quite right, but explore more. I want to pretend I'm new to Seattle...I feel like I get restless and want to move because it is so familiar to me. I go to the same places (which I love and always miss when I am gone) and see the same people (again, all of who I love)...but in an effort to stay in one place for a semi-extended period of time, I need to make my Seattle life more exciting. I went to Pies and Pints this week with my roommate and some of her pals. I have driven by there a bazillion times, but have never gone in. Will keep you posted on upcoming Seattle exploring.

4. I didn't mention this at the beginning fo the post, but I am currently sitting in the Alaska Airlines MVP lounge, drinking mimosas. Mom and I were supposed to fly out early this morning to Orlando (well, to Dallas and then on to Orlando). After everyone was boarded and ready to go (and we had been upgraded to first class), they announced that there was some mechanical problem and we would have to de-plane and get on a new aircraft. Well, that meant we were going to miss our connecting flight. We got ourselves re-scheduled on a non-stop for later in the day. Which means we have several hours to kick it at the airport before we fly out. So we made our way to the MVP lounge...and are feeling o-so important...typing away on our computers, drinking booze (so what if it is 10am...in Orlando it is 1pm) and pretending to be fancy and important. I'm excited for Disney World. It has been forever...almost an entire year...the last time I worked was April 1st...which somehow doesn't seem like that long ago. Weird. I am excited to wander around the world showcase at Epcot and check out the places I have ACTUALLY been now. Mom and I always joked that we didn't need to travel the world, we could just go to Epcot.

5. My mom is telling me I have been working on this blog for too long and I need to finish up...and then, while making her own mimosa (she went up and asked for a couple glasses of oj and a couple glasses of champagne)...she has spilled EVERYWHERE...turns out, champagne bubbles up- quickly- and it doesn't matter if you pour the oj into the champagne or the champagne in the oj...mess both ways. So, I need to get my stuff out of the way and think about doing something with this sticky mess. TTFN...

Have a great week...I'm sure I'll have some good Disney stories next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment