Friday, January 2, 2015

Sadie's First Trip!

When we found out Brian would be getting the week between Christmas and New Years off, we decided it would be a great time to take the trip up to Alaska to visit Brian's family. I haven't ever been up there since we started dating, and he hasn't been in several years. We made arrangements with Brian's parents...and our tickets were booked. Gulp. A three and a half hour plane ride with a two month old. I was anxious about it!


 But of course, Sadie was a champion. She didn't make a peep the whole way up. She slept for about half the flight and then looked around, grinned at the flight attendants, and ate a bit. Big relief!

We stayed at Brian's aunt and uncle's house, and had the whole basement to ourselves...which was really nice. I was nervous about staying with other people with a newborn...not knowing how she would handle the new environment....and especially how she would sleep.

I don't remember the order of events of the days...but we met up with Brian's sister and three nieces at the mall- did some wandering and visiting. Then had a fantastic steak, crab, salmon dinner back at the house. We had brunch in a small little bar known for their eggs benedict, then back to the house to watch football. Christie, Aaron, and the girls came over to hang with us, while the 'adults' went out
to a nice restaurant. We went out to a park for some sledding- Sadie was bundled up, but didn't really like the cold much, so we mostly hung out in the chalet, watching everyone else sled. We went over to a cousin's for a big holiday get together...they had fresh caught king crab that was SO BIG. The pieces of meat that were on my plate were like the size of a steak. I have never eaten crab that was so little work! We had another meal out at a pizza and beer place that was pretty fun. Lots of running around- and again, Sadie did awesome. I think the hardest part was for me, and figuring out when/where to nurse her and/or pump.

Sadly, it never snowed while we were there. There was a little snow on the ground, but it was actually colder in Seattle some of the time than it was up there. I guess that just means we will have to go another time!

A little joke we had going the whole trip- I informed them that I don't believe in real moose. I think they are just an animal of cartoons. And everyone tried to convince me that they are real...they had seen them IN THEIR BACKYARD (a likely story...I'm sure people see Bigfoot in their backyard all the time). So everyone was on constant look out for a moose. Unfortunately (or expectantly), we never saw one. But when we were at the airport on our way home, this fellow was hanging out. I love Sadie checking out the moose and then her expression!
 I'm so glad we were able to go this year...it's a trip I have been hoping we would be able to do for quite a while. Also such a relief that Sadie was a stellar traveler (I know, I know...this is the best time to take a baby on a trip because they aren't mobile yet...but still)....

1 comment:

  1. Fun. Glad you were brave enough to go. It really is hard facing things for the first time with little ones that you really have no control over. :) Happy New Year to the three of you!

    ReplyDelete