Saturday, April 4, 2009

4/4...a Saturday

I know, I know...I missed my Friday deadline for the Friday Five. I am very sorry. I have a sort of excuse. It was a super busy week, and by the time I had the opportunity to sit and write and then post, I was housesitting in a house without an internet connection. (had nothing to do with the fact that I thought about writing it on Thursday and then completely slipped my mind the entire day on Friday...nothing like that at all.) But yes, it was a busy week. Here are your six on Saturday (hmmm, that has a ring to it?)

1. Last Friday, I went out with my pal Jen to the Can Can to see the first of what will probably be a series of local songwriters night. One of Jen's friends created an evening of several local musicians, playing a few of their songs, followed up by an interview. It was a serious pain in the arse to find a parking spot...and actually, now that I am thinking of it- that was last thursday...didn't even happen this week. I just remembered that because we very nearly gave up on the parking search (after waiting for a spot where we realized people were making out in their car- clearly not leaving anytime soon, and another car was enjoying a meal in their spot...grrr, annoying) to go home and catch that evening's episode of Grey's Anatomy...I mean, McDreamy was going to be operating on Izzy in a nearly impossible surgery with the goal of regaining his confidence in his ability to save people...heavy stuff people. BUT, literally, as we said "let's just go home" a car pulled out RIGHT in front of us (when you stop searching, it finds you, right?). We didn't stay at the show for very long...I mean, it was a Thursday night, after all...but it was a cool event and I looke forward to future shows.

2. I found myself a new Young Adult book series that I am totally loving. I got the recommendation from Sarah Dessen's blog (where I got the idea for a Friday Five...she is great). Apparently the final book (number 7..yes! I still have plenty to read) is coming out soon. So I went to the library and checked out the first three in the Jessica Darling series. It is a typical YA book- girl in high school dealing with the normal high school stuff. BUT, it isn't overly dramatic, like a lot of the YA books are...there aren't any alcoholic parents, rapes, etc...it feels like MY real high school experience. But what I LOVE is the main character...Jessica Darling. She kills me. She is so funny. She sort of reminds me of me (although, I think that is giving me a lot more credit than I deserve) in that she is friends with all the different groups, and her main "group" is the popular kids...but she can't handle the ridiculous silly drama in their lives. Like, she goes along with it, all the while, her internal dialogue is great. She is so sarcastic. I finished the second book last night (also having nothing to do with why this didn't get written until today) and I am thinking about checking out the third one on CD to listen to in the car. That might be fun.

3. My dad's birthday shindig was a good time. We all met up at one of his spots in Renton...the one that he takes us all out to when we turn 21. It's a chinese restaurant...kind of random. Anyway...it was fun having everyone together...Danielle, Ryan, Amy and I sat together on one side of the table and laughed at the adults to ourselves. There was a lot of kicking each other under the table about stuff the adults were saying. And Dad loved the present we got him...my siblings and I all got together a couple weekends ago and had family pictures taken, by one of my friends. They turned out really well! We did some posed shots and some fun, hanging out shots. I love capturing people laughing...those pictures are so genuine, and Jen is great at getting those- she always takes a bazillion pictures when our girls camping group gets together. Anyway...so I printed out a few of those shots and put them in a cool frame...I think it came out really nice. And my dad LOVES that kind of stuff. He is such a cornball about how he is the richest man in the world because of his family.

4. This week was spring break for the Seattle elementary kids, so on top of my usual Starbucks schedule and my normal weekly babysitting schedule, I watched a couple of the kids I used to watch in college, during the day. I was working looong days! It was fun to see them...they are so grown up now. I mean, the oldest of the kids I used to watch in college, are going to MIDDLE SCHOOL next year. WHAT?! Nick had to practice his piano (which he has been playing since he was, like, 4...and is amazing at) and his newly aquired clarinet...which brought back those terrible memories of having to practice my own clarinet, back in elementary school. Yikes! We also spent one afternoon at the Museum of Flight. Which was REALLY cool! I had no idea. I have been there before- for events...like a music lounge with the radio station, but never through the exhibits. The boys are old pros at the museum and knew where all their favorite exhibits were, and they showed me around. I was surprised at my level of interest...their favorite exhibit is the WWI and WWII areas, so we spent a lot of time there. And honestly, it was probably just as, if not more, informative and interesting as the WWII memorial museum in Normandy.

5. We also spent an afternoon at the movie theater, watching Monsters v Aliens in 3-D. I don't usually go to cartoon movies that aren't Disney. I have found they are usually dumb and disappointing. BUT, I enjoyed the movie. The boys were cracking up through the whole thing, and I actually found myself laughing out loud in a few parts. It isn't a Disney movie...but, it was good. AND, I also found out that Disney plans to re-release (I think I heard 13) of their old movies back into theaters in 3-D. Starting with Toy Story, and the Beauty and the Beast! I don't really care that much about 3-D...I think having to wear glasses is kind of annoying actually...but getting to see Beauty and the Beast in theaters again is so sooo exciting! I can't wait to hear what other movies...Aladdin?!

6 (since it is Saturday, after all). I got a new desk...well, it isn't new- at all. But, new to me. And I kind of like that it is old...I am planning on doing some work on it...painting, gluing, etc. I rearranged my room. Cleaned it. Started making plans for making it creative and interesting. I am actually okay with people coming over and seeing my room (I still need to hide the fact that my bed is a blowup mattress...hehe). But I have been using it to write, and have a pile of "things to get done"...it's all very organized for me. I like it. I feel I am going to be very productive with my life from now on. Wish me luck on that.

Okay, Jen is here to work on literacy board stuff, so I must go. Have a great week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment