Friday, December 30, 2011

Goodbye 2011

The last post of 2011…should be full of deep reflections and favorite things. Should be. But, well…I just haven’t put that much thought into it. I will say, I have loved this year.

I remember thinking how great 2010 was and being a little nervous about 2011 because it couldn’t possibly live up to 2010. But somehow 2011 was even better.

I decided that since it isn't looking positive for snow any time soon, I'd add some snow to my blog. It does make me happy, even if it isn't even close to the real thing.

Some highlights from the past year:

-Going to Disneyland with Brian. Disney is one of those big tests that could have been a deal breaker...but Brian was quite a sport and kept up. We have a trip to Disney World tentatively planned (it's happening, but reservations haven't been made) for May...I'm sure he has no idea what he is getting in to (pretty sure my mom is going also)...but I'm not worried this time. Really, just something super exciting to look forward to in 2012.

-Getting my own place. I moved into my new place in May...and there are still unpacked boxes in the living room, and I actually don't think I've done any 'living' in the living room...but it's my own space. I was able to close up my storage unit and everything is with me now. I had great visions of decorating cute and buying new things...none of that happened (I did get some more snowflake plates the day after Christmas at Target), so hey...that's something.

-Live music...Brian and I went to so many shows this year...and almost all actually paid for. (After working at the radio station and getting all kinds of free tickets, it took me some time to be okay with purchasing...I still have a few connections, luckily.) Fav shows included: Ryan Adams solo at Benaroya in the 6th row...wowzer. Muse and Arcade Fire at Outsidelands. Beach Boys with Brian's parents, David Gray, a very cool birthday gift to see Jeff Bridges- what a performer. Some pretty fantastic local performances- Ian McFeron Band's latest album release at the Triple Door, multiple Head and the Heart shows, Bryan John Appleby, Campfire OK, Kelli Schaefer at Cathedrals (her mom singing with her- shivers! This doesn't do it justice, but still... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BaHpuCgCKE ), Fleet Foxes twice...both amazing...I know I'm forgetting shows...great music year though.

-Sports galore! You have no idea how often I have feared that I would never find someone that found great importance in both music AND sports, as I do. Brian and I went to a ton of Mariners games (including Sonics night at Safeco...what a thrill that was!), Sounders games (I even found myself part owner of season tickets next year...who would have thought my first set of season tickets would be for soccer!), we went to a Seahawks game, and Sunday afternoon kid soccer games at Greenlake... we watched just about every major sporting event on TV...I mean, sports are pretty much an every day thing. I'm pretty pumped for the upcoming Sounders season...oh I wish we still had the Sonics! There was also the thrill of playing on the Bahama Bombers kickball team...we weren't good, but we almost won a playoff game. Brian, of course, was recruited to another team that went on to win the championship...what a traitor.

-Trips! We went to Portland twice...once to see the Head and the Heart, and once for an incredible Fleet Foxes show AT Edgefield. We did Disney in April and San Francisco to see Jessica and Luke and a music festival, Ellensburg for the RODEO! Looking forward to another trip to San Fran in February for Rachel's 30th birthday, the D-World trip, and who knows where else we might be off to...I'd love to get back to Chicago, I need to see Jessica and Luke's new place, visit Jen in Austin, I'd love to visit Brian's sisters in Alaska and NYC, and I'd love to leave the country some time soon.

-Volunteering...spent some time at 826 doing the 2nd and 3rd grad Geoduck field trips, and helping high schoolers with their college essays...not as much time spent at 826 as I would have like due to my work schedule. And my little Shooting Fireballs basketball team. Those girls were definitely one of the highlights of my year. I don't think I did much, but I know they had fun, and they were so stinkin funny.

-New friends. I love our weekly tradition of either Potluck or Movie Night. I love hanging out, eating food, playing games, laughing, and boy do I love any event with a theme. It has been tough having several of my very best friends moved away, it has been so great to have met and made so many new friends this year.

Oh dear...Brian just broke his new nerf gun...I gotta go.

No comments:

Post a Comment